Tuesday, January 15, 2008

What makes the singular so much cuter?

My mom was trying to explain what a goya was - I've found out that it is also known as winter melon or bitter melon - but anyway, she described it to me as "like cucumber but with a bump." Tell me that isn't cute somehow. The goya however is less cute. Take a look. I don't think I want to eat this:


Incidentally there is a popular band in Japan right now called "Bump of Chicken" but I have to say, I don't think that the singular thing is helping them out at all.

1 comment:

kent said...

Oh my you have missed one of the 10 wonders of vegetable strangeness other than eating a smelly durian fruit.. Goya is one of my favorite vegetables....it basically flowers twice haha a flower to fruit and then the melon blows apart like a flower to shoot the seeds out..

I've eaten the japanese one in a steamed omelette style. My mom grows like 3 types of chinese ones she got her hands one some white varities. You can eat the pulp around the seeds too it's suppose to be supper sweet.

Indians like too cook them with seeds and pith.. chinese scrape the seeds out. the indian goya is long and skinny but bitter as..(I don't have a example of another bitter food)