Friday, January 4, 2008

Movies (rock me Amadeus)

It's my week off (actually, everyone in Japan's week off, practically) and one of the TV stations is playing one old movie each night this week. I actually watched Gone With the Wind in its entirety for the first time last night. What was most interesting was, even though I knew the cliché moments from the movie, I didn't actually have a clue about the story at all. Anyway, then tonight they played The Sound of Music, and at the scene where Maria (Julie Andrews) decides to make the children's play clothes out of her drapery, my mom starts laughing to herself. I asked her what was so funny, and she said that she never thought she'd see two movies in a row where someone makes clothes out of the curtains. For anyone who hasn't seen Gone with the Wind, obviously it happens in it, too. She's right, though. What were the chances of that? I keep thinking about it and laughing to myself. (Oh, man, I am her daughter.)

On a side note, this same channel (which is called BS, by the way) was playing "Scarface" on New Year's morning (an odd programing choice, right?) and my mom had never seen it before (as she said, "No wonder I've never seen it; it's so violent!"). I pointed out Al Pacino and that actor F. Murray Abraham since I knew she'd recognize him as the guy who played Salieri in the movie Amadeus. "It is Salieri!" she remarked when she recognized him. I couldn't think of his name right then, but said I thought it started with an 'M.' (I was close!)

"It's Mozart," she told me.

No comments: