Saturday, January 19, 2008

I mope, I will mope, I was moping, I moped...

My mother was reading her email this morning, when she suddenly turns to me and asks, "What's 'moped'?" I'm not immediately sure, so I ask her to read the sentence. Apparently a friend of hers was in Vietnam when her son had an accident on a moped but my mom had never heard of that before so she pronounced it like the past-tense of 'to mope' (which is also what she thought it meant and so was perplexed as to what a moped accident was). So I told her that it was like a little scooter.

Minutes later, she turns to me and says, "So, a moped is like a little scooter?"
"Those are the exact words I just used to describe it to you!"
"So, you don't ride it in the snow?"
"No. And, would that even make sense? There's no snow in Vietnam!"
She starts laughing, and asks me, "What are those snow ones called?" But before I can answer, she says, "Snow-mobile."

I don't even know what she needs me around for. Also, I think I'm going to start referring to depressive moments as having a 'moped accident' because, really, who ever gets into that state on purpose anyway.

No comments: