Friday, January 11, 2008

If the idiot looks at the finger, what does that make the pointer?

"If a man points to the moon, an idiot will look at the finger" - Sufi proverb

The other day I poked the side of my pointer-finger with a new metal-wound low G ukulele string. At the time it didn't hurt much, so I didn't really think about it even though it bled a little. The next morning, it was sore and a little swollen. Then as the day progressed, it got a little more infected-looking and painful. I told my mom about it and she said that she had some topical ointment that might help get rid of the infection, so I put on a gob and covered it with a band-aid.

The next morning at breakfast, I removed the band-aid to see how it was doing, and amazingly it was practically healed! No more swelling or infection. So, I stuck out my finger to show my mom, and said, "Look!" She looked up toward the ceiling, to where my finger was pointing. She looked back at me again.
"No, here!" I said shaking my finger. Again, she looked over in the direction I was inadvertently pointing, searching in confusion for what I was pointing to.
"My finger!"

So, like I said, if the idiot looks at the finger, what does that make the pointer? Maybe I am an idiot; I certainly laughed like one - we both did.

1 comment:

Theresa Cook said...

Thanks grreat blog post