Tuesday, November 20, 2007

First Post Stress Disorder

As far as this blog goes, the idea began as mostly a joke, but now Ashika is telling me I should really do it, so: here it is. I haven't even been here a week and already the hilarity is ensuing. I will try to post them as they happen, but cut me some slack because a) I'm sure it was funnier when it happened, b) sometimes things were funnier in the Japanese in which they happened, and c) I've never claimed I could actually tell a good story anyway.

Yesterday I discovered that my penchant for parking in tight parking spaces in arid parking lots is likely genetic. We were going to get some sushi and stopped by a store to buy a turkey for the upcoming thanksgiving feast. My mom drove around to the front of the lot passing up loads of open spaces and parked between a car and the payment kiosk - the space was so tight, I had to climb out the driver's side. I didn't question this decision, because I decided that, even though it was a Tokyo parking lot and fit like 10 cars anyway, maybe she really wanted to park as close to the front as possible so that we didn't have to carry the turkey so far...or something. But then, when we went to the sushi place, she did it again! An empty lot with two cars, one space between them and she headed right into the tight spot. I was amazed that she did this thing I've been made fun of so many times for doing. So I asked her, "Why do you always park in the tight spot when there's so much room?" She claimed to not even notice that she does it, but when I pressed her for an answer, she said that maybe it was so that she didn't park on the line. Well, I guess that's a logical answer, but it doesn't explain why I do it. I still think it's probably genetic. This is the same woman who was complaining about the amount of junk email she gets, and comments, "Who has time to send all this junk mail any how?" It's almost impossible for me to comprehend that in her mind actual people named Hope E. Esparaza and Hilario P. Mooney were busy sending emails with subjects like "Tiny dic'k can never attract woman's attention" and "This offer will make your s'e_xual dreams come true." Anyway.

4 comments:

Inder-ific said...

Since you posit this as a question of nature vs. nurture, I think it's important to ask:

Did your mother teach you to drive?

However, kudos to both of you on parking abilities. I'd probably remove my side mirror if I tried that!

her kid said...

hmm... I learned to drive from an Iranian restaurant owner cum driving instructor. Though, I think that you can definitely pick up weird habits just from being around it your whole life. I think this may be the case in point.

Inder-ific said...

Let's just hope you're smarter about spam email.

Ashika said...

Hilario P. Mooney sounds a little fattanug. Maybe that's why he stays indoors... and has all the time in the world to send your mom junk emails. I wonder what his penis looks like; probably a little fattanug, huh?