Friday, December 28, 2007

my japanese is not improving...

I've started reading this comic that was written about my great-grandfather's life (it's weird, I know) and already on the first page there are vocabulary words I don't understand. The book is meant for kids, so the pronunciation of the complicated kanji characters is written next to it, but that helps not at all if you don't know what the word means. So, what that means is basically I'll have to look them up in the dictionary. Boo. But, anyway, I was telling my mom about this, and gave her as an example this word geneki. I couldn't even figure out its meaning from the context. So my mom says to me, "Geneki means, like, I am geneki," pointing to herself as she says this. I start laughing because of course I still don't know what it means and her example makes no sense.
She tries again, "Geneki is what I'm right now doing."
Now I'm laughing hysterically and still am no clearer about what this word means, so she adds, "but soon I won't be." I think it might have something to do with work since she's retiring soon, but I'm still not entirely clear. Guess I'll have to look it up in ye olde dictionary. (boo)

No comments: