Saturday, February 2, 2008

Tea time with Yoko

It's snowing and cold and my mom and I had bought donuts at Mister Donut for our afternoon tea. (Incidentally, Mister Donut makes this thing called a Pon de Ring which is the best thing I've had of the donut variety since my first taste of a Krispy Kreme.) I was making us black-tea and asked my mom if she wanted to put any sugar or anything in hers.
"I want everything," she told me. "Sugar and milk. Or whiskey."
Apparently she likes tea with sugar and Wild Turkey. Anyway, today she opted for the softer version and we enjoyed our tea mit donut as the snow fell quietly outside.

Having eaten our donuts, we were meditating on the quiet mess of the dining room table when my mom started to peer curiously at this tin she uses to keep stamps in.
"What?" I asked her.
"I was trying to figure out where this came from," she answered.
"It looks like it's maybe from England...Let me see it."

I looked at the picture on the front and read the little blurb under the name "Neuhaus."
"I think it must be French. It says 'Neuhaus - créateur de chocolats frais depuis 1857.' "

"I guess so if it says depuis."

The ridiculousness of that sentence hadn't penetrated my heavy Pon de Ring fog before I heard the raspy wheeze of a cackle coming from my mom. Actually, this was one thing I might have even let go except that it was funny that she thought it was funny before I even recognized it as being funny. She finally beat me to the punch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that doughnut looks like a cock ring..or it looks like a buddist prayer bracelet...

also they don't have Mister doughnut in fukuoka... I've asked the girl in my class of the wonders of MR doughnut, but she will say " who is he?"