Monday, November 10, 2008

I swear to God this really happened.

Abbot and Costello have nothing on us:
Y: You know, I found that in your room today.
N: (abject terror) WHAT?! 

Y: My metronome.
N: Oh! I thought you were going to say mukade. Don't scare me like that!
Y: (enters my room) Ha ha. I forgot about mukade.
N: Well, I haven't.
She looks at the kimono I have hanging up air-pressing wrinkles out before I have to wear it on Wednesday.

Y: This is nice!
N: Yeah, I'm going to wear it Wednesday to the sobetsukai.
Y: Where's mine?
 
I'd sent three out for cleaning; they'd belonged to my grandmother and hadn't seen the light of day since whenever, a long time ago. Two I will bring with me back to the US. One is a formal kimono of the style of a married woman, with the Matsuda crest on it. My mom told me I should have it cleaned for her. 
N: Over there in the wrapping.
We open the package and look at it.
Y: That's not mine. I've never seen it before.
N: Yeah, I know. It was baba's.
Y: You're not going to take it with you?
N: No, I can't wear it because you can only wear it if you're married.
Y: But, I'm not married.
N: Argh! You know what I mean! Anyway, Sumie-san said that you can wear it to a formal event, like if I ever get married or whatever, you can wear it to my wedding.
Y: Will you get married then, so I can wear this kimono?
N: Ha ha ha!
Y: Really. It doesn't matter to who.

No comments: