Saturday, May 10, 2008

Yoko don't need no instructions

We'd bought some walnuts near a temple in Hakusan on our trip and they've been sitting in a bowl with a nut-cracker for a few days now. Today, my mom told me that she'd tried to crack one open but it was too hard. "So, I tried smashing it with a hammer, and look what it did to that cutting board Ogura san made! I even wrapped it in a towel first."I thought I'd give it a try, too, and damn if it wasn't the hardest nut I've ever tried to crack! I gave up and sat down. "You're right. It's too hard!" I told her.

"They came with directions," she then told me, "that said to boil them first, but I'd never heard of that so I threw the directions away." I nearly had a heart-attack in the laughing fit that followed. She still doesn't understand what I found so funny. I'm still laughing.

No comments: