Sunday, May 25, 2008

A birthday tribute

Today was my mom's birthday. Everyone think her happy birthday. I'm sure she appreciates it. I don't know if it's that I'm getting used to her ways or, more likely, because I'm becoming like her, but as the months wile away fewer things are popping out to me as post-able material. But, as I said, it is her birthday and I want to take a moment to recount a little nothing moment that I feel accurately represents her true spirit.

We were walking together toward the train station. I don't remember when or why, just that it was fairly recent. The day was not too cold, a little bit rainy and humid. We came to a small intersection and were nearly run over by people on bicycles holding umbrellas coming from both directions. As I recall, it was two from the front and one coming from behind. She was walking along pretty blind to any possible catastrophe; luckily my eagle eyes had seen the two bicyclists ahead and I'd heard the warning bell from the bike behind. Ascertaining the potential hurt on the horizon, I turned and pulled my mother out of the way. A heroic move (if I do say so myself) that avoided a lot of pain and suffering for both of us. Anyway, it really was a near miss, but before I had finished breathing my sigh of relief, what do you think she did immediately?

She ran out into the street against the cross walk signal to jaywalk to the other side. Obviously.

I could hardly believe her. Fortunately there were no cars. But somehow this 'caution to the wind,' blindered existence has gotten her farther along than my (soon to be) 31 years. I must give credit to where it's due. I don't know how she's done it, but I certainly can't refute the fact that she has. Happy Birthday!

No comments: