Thursday, July 26, 2012

Be 'heartened & 'meaned!

My mother will visit Los Angeles shortly and had planned to stay with her friend in Diamond Bar, but I learned last night that she will be staying in an empty house.  "They're going to be in London, so we'll just stay there ourselves," she told me.

"Why are they going to London?" I asked, not thinking.

"Well, their friends' son is playing in some game," she answered.

Silence proceeded as I processed and it occurred to me that the Olympics are beginning and may have some bearing on my mom's statement.  In fact, as I become certain that is what she mean, I utter with disbelief,  "You mean he's in the Olympics?!"

"Yes," she says.

I try to convince her that 'play' is not the right verb, nor 'game' the correct noun.

"You should say 'compete' and 'sport;' it's demeaning to say 'play' and 'games.'"

Of course, "whatever" was her response.

Good luck to all those athletes who will be playing some games in London this Olympics. 
Forget disheartened or demeaned! Remember, if you lose, it was only a game you were playing and of no further consequence.

No comments: