Sunday, September 28, 2008

Paul Newman tribute week chez Yoko

She was sad, as was I, as were Paul Newman fans world wide, at his passing this weekend. In tribute we are watching his movies this week. Yesterday we rented "The Sting" and "The Color of Money" (known as "Hustler 2" in Japan, though the store did not stock the first one). "It's really too bad, you know," she said. "Didn't Marlon Brando die a few years ago?" I affirmed this. "Who's that other actor I really like. You know the one."
"If you like them so much, you should probably learn their names," I told her. "What movies has he been in?"
"Cuckoo flew over..." she trailed off into dead silence. I cracked up, of course.
"You mean Jack Nicholson. The movie title is "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest."
"Right," she says. "I was in the theater watching it when it won the Academy Award for best picture. Someone came into the theater and shouted, 'It just won best picture!' and everyone stood up and cheered!" It's been 33 years since that movie excursion of hers and she remembers it vividly. I bet everyone who was at that theater remembers it, too. I wonder where they are now, and what they are doing?

No comments: