Thursday, July 31, 2008

It was ballroom dancing, but I swear we weren't watching

We happened to have the TV on and there happened to be a broadcast of some Pan-Asian ballroom dancing competition. 'Watching' would be a very loose description of my mom and my activity vis รก vis this program. Anyway, some couple was dancing and the woman's costume was, in a word, hideous. I may never have been a huge fan of professional ballroom dancing outfits, but I am used to the female dancers having at least some small piece of cloth they can refer to as a 'skirt' somewhere near the crotchal region. This woman's costume was missing this vital piece of cloth and so was simply wearing a unitard. But not a normal, spandex kind. It was a nude colored, nylon body-stocking with barely enough sparkly rhinestones in the three most necessary places to avoid being jailed.
"Ugh," I moaned. "I can't believe that costume. It's disgusting."
"Well," said my mom, "I don't think Japanese should even be ballroom dancing."
"I don't think this couple is Japanese. They look maybe Chinese?"
"Whatever. Asian. I don't think Asian people look good dancing like this."
"Why not?" I asked, my curiosity piqued by her disdainful tone.
"Well," she began, "first of all, their legs are too short..."
She never got to a second reason, though I'm sure there was one. Maybe even a third. But we'll never know because my laughter totally cut her thought process short. But I must say I was proud that she used the word 'Asian;' I've finally broken her 1960's habit of referring to all Asians as 'Orientals.'

No comments: